Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative
January - February 2019
State Budget/State Aid:
State Aid Budget, FY2018-19: All MMLC libraries completed Annual Reports by the February 1, 2019 deadlines.
Note: The total amount for State Aid is $12,067,700. The per capita direct state aid $.39689 and indirect $.39689. Cooperatives will also receive $.39689 for direct aid. First half payments to libraries will start in March 2019. MMLC will receive monthly reports on payments.
Programming: Irene has scheduled over 650 programs for libraries through the Summer Reading season. In addition, she has continued to receive new requests for Winter and Spring.
Findaway Launchpads: Libraries were sent MMLC discount information on purchasing Launchpads and a few have taken advantage of the opportunity.
Library Ideas/VOX Books: Three members purchased VOX Books in the trial period and the children’s book/audio combination were distributed through MMLC.
Director Search: The Director position opened on February 15, 2019 and will close on April 15, 2019. The position has been posted on the MLA and ALA job sites as well as to Michlib-l.
Advocacy Committee: Information on a meeting of the committee was sent prior to a meeting scheduled in March to review the Advocacy Plan and also to discuss the National Library Legislative Day event cancellation for 2019.
Cooperative Directors Association:
Cooperative Directors Association (CDA): The CDA met in February at the Library of Michigan.
- I reported on the Complete Count Census 2020 session I attended at the ALA Midwinter conference. Libraries are being encouraged to be a part of the community conversations as key stakeholders. Webinars and training materials have been sent by the Library of Michigan in anticipation of patrons needing assistance in filling out forms. This will be the first mostly online census.
- The OverDrive project between MCLS and Lakeland Library Consortia is going well. I indicated that the MMLC OverDrive group is interested in participating when other consortia become eligible to join.
- UPDATE: Six cooperatives (Northland, MMLC, MMLL, Superiorland, WPLC, and Woodlands) have committed to hosting a “Small Libraries. Big Impact.” conference on April 29 and 30, 2019. Registration will be from March 4-15, 2019 for Class I – V libraries and will be managed by MMLC. On March 16, 2019, any remaining seats will be advertised statewide.
CDA Webinars: All of the free webinars may be accessed at: https://mmll.ploud.net/workshops-webinars/webinars. We are also seeking new webinar ideas for 2019. Please send me those that you think would benefit libraries in the state.
Collaborating Partners – CDA, LM, MiALA, MLA, and MCLS: The next workshop will be on November 15, 2019 at the Lansing Community College West Campus. The topic will be ‘Inclusion’ and will feature Leonard Sax as the keynote speaker.
Michigan Library Association (MLA): Gail Madziar made the report for MLA; she also announced that her last day would be March 15, 2019 and it would be her last meeting of the CDA:
- Michigan Legislative action:
- Narcan bills that failed to pass in 2018 are newly redrafted and are awaiting sponsorship.
- MLA insurance through NIS is now available and has provided savings for some members. Libraries can request a free quote.
- Spring Institute 2019 registration is open now for the March 27 “Growing, Networking and Inspiring”. Conference information is at: https://bit.ly/2CJnGn6
- MLA is seeking applicants for a professional development position
- Romy Fitchen will be the Interim MLA Director as the search continues.
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS): Randy Dykhuis made the following report at his last meeting of the CDA:
- RIDES pricing will be set by the end of April and library invoices will be sent in the Summer.
- MeLCat January was the biggest circulation month in the history of the system.
- Scott Garrison is the new Executive Director and will start on March 4, 2019.
- Stephanie Davis is the new Database Purchasing Manager as of February 5, 2019.
Library of Michigan (LM): Randy Riley made the following report:
- Kathy Webb reported that the Michigan Department of Treasury sent out an email to district libraries with Personal Property Tax Reimbursement forms for corrections. City and township libraries receive their information through their municipalities who would also have received the email. Payments began November 1, 2018 and a second round was sent February 1, 2019.
- Medium Size LSTA grant ($10,000-$20,000) applications are due May 31, 2019 with a start date of October 1, 2019.
- “Night for Notables” is April 27, 2019 with Josh Malerman, author of “Bird Box” as the keynote speaker.
- The MMLC Board met on January 10, 2019 and received the 2017-18 audit report.
- I attended the ALA Midwinter Conference at the end of January in Seattle.
- The MMLC Advisory Council met on February 19, 2019. The speakers were: Anne Seurynck, Foster Swift attorney, and Theresa Runyan, Mel Engagement Specialist, Public Libraries. Also in attendance were Shannon White, LM, and Megan Dudek, MCLS.
- I attended the CALL meeting with the Lapeer County library directors at the North Branch Township Library on February 26, 2019.