Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative
March - April 2018
State Budget/State Aid:
State Aid, FY2017-18: Beginning in April, the Library of Michigan began to make first half State Aid payments and five MMLC libraries received checks. The breakdown of the first 50% for state aid is $.181992 for direct state aid and $.181992 for Indirect State Aid (MMLC Trust Account). The remaining 50% will be paid after July 1, 2018. To see a complete list of payments through April: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/LM_2018_State_Aid_Payment_Status_Report_for_FY2018_as_of_4_24_18_621365_7.pdf
State Aid Budget, FY2018-19: Governor Snyder has issued the Proposed Budget for next year with a $1 million increase to State Aid. As we know, both the Senate and House have to debate the budget in committee. Last year the Governor’s recommendation held for State Aid so we will see that happens in the next few months. The increase would add about 3.5 cents and brings us very close to a per capita rate of $.40.
Programming: We currently have booked 620 programs for this fiscal year and anticipate adding more events through the summer and fall. Confirmation sheets were sent to members and performers in early March. We are looking forward to a highly successful year of summer programs.
National Legislative Library Day (NLLD): The first of two conference calls were held to acquaint the group with the schedule and particulars of the event. All of the reservations have been made and registrations completed. Attendees are: Debora Bloomquist and Scott Duimstra, Capital Area District Library; Melissa Malcolm, Lapeer District Library; Charles Hanson, Kettering District Library; Robert Crites and David Conklin, Genesee District Library.
ALA Action Center: The easy-to-use link below includes the latest in advocacy action items including:
- Museum and Library Service Act Reauthorization
- Marrakesh Treaty Signing Support
- FY2018 LSTA Funding – Legislator Thank You
- FY2019 Budget Support for Libraries – Legislator Thank You
- Restore Net Neutrality
- Strengthen the Federal Depository Program
Cooperative Director’s Association (CDA): The CDA met in April and heard reports from our Collaborating Partners. Carol Dawe is the new Lakeland Library Cooperative Director and Shawn Andary is the new Superiorland Cooperative Director.
CDA Webinars: The webinars have been excellent and have been very well attended. The latest one in April was on Cybersecurity. They are free and recordings are available at: http://mmll.ploud.net/workshops-webinars/webinars
ALA Boot Camp: MLA and the CDA co-sponsored the ALA Boot Camp on Friday, April 20, 2018. Registration was capped at 50 and closed well before the event at full capacity.
Michigan Library Association (MLA): Gail Madziar made the following report for MLA:
- The MLA Executive Summit will be held on Friday, June 1, 2018 at the East Lansing Public Library. It will focus on leadership skills.
- MLA dues will remain the same for next year.
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS): Randy Dykhuis made the following report:
- The RIDES Study is complete and will be shared with the Task Force in May. Recommendations will be made to MCLS. RIDES fees for FY18-19 will remain the same as this year.
- The Zepheira project is not moving as quickly as hoped. MCLS and LM are working to move the process along.
- Randy also announced his retirement from MCLS as of December 2018.
Library of Michigan (LM): Randy Riley made the following report:
- LM received a slight increase in the LSTA funding for next year that will be used to make up the increase in costs. No new grant projects are expected for next year.
- The Council of State Library Agencies (COSLA) has created a Great Lakes Council including MI, OH, IN, IL, WI, and MN with the goal of developing joint projects. Randy is a key member of that new group.
Collaborating Partners – CDA, LM, MiALA, MLA, and MCLS:
The Fall workshop focuses on Library Accessibility and has been scheduled for Friday, November 9, 2018 at the Grand Valley State University Eberhard Center in Grand Rapids. “Save the Date” information was sent through Michlib-l and as a flyer at the Rural Libraries Conference. Registration will open in June.
- I attended the Public Library Association Conference in March.
- MMLC continues to provide fiscal agent services to the Friends of Michigan Libraries. We were also responsible for administering the LSTA funding grant that ended in March 2018.
- The MMLC revised Bylaws were sent to members to share with their boards for information.
- Melissa Barnard, Grace A. Dow Memorial Public Library Director, has announced her retirement. We wish her well in her retirement years and thank her for her ongoing support of the cooperative. It has been a pleasure working with Melissa!