Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative
State Budget/State Aid:
STATE AID FY2020
The new state aid rates have been computed for FY2020, no change in per capita this disbursement year and will total $12,067,700. Per capita breakdown of $.39708 for direct and indirect state aid to public libraries. Cooperative per capita of $.397080 and a density payment of $7.94 per square mile.
The FY2020 Public Library Annual Report/State Aid Application report will be available for submission from October 1, 2019 and close on February 1, 2020. Payments will be processed as follows: 1st 50% payment will be made after your state aid/annual report is reviewed. The remaining 50% will be paid after July 1, 2019. Please note that state aid reports are reviewed in the order that they are received. Reviews and first payments will begin after February 1, 2020
For a complete listing of the State Aid to Public Libraries Application Process, please visit the Library of Michigan website at: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/libraryofmichigan/State_Aid_to_Public_Libraries_Application_Process_544008_7.pdf
As of the end of November the cooperative has had 5 Libraries who have completed their state aid.
Programming: Irene has booked 613 programs with 54 performers at 115 different locations across the state. Currently she is finalizing contracts, submitting deposits and preparing the confirmation sheets.
NNLD Advocacy: The National Library Legislative Day event will take place in Washington DC on May 4 and 5 and funding for an MMLC has been included in the 2019-20 budget approved in September. Look for more information coming out in the new year.
Cooperative Directors Association:
Cooperative Directors Association (CDA):
- Linda Adams has been named as the New Cooperative Director for Northland. She will officially take over in January and step down as the director of Charlevoix Public Library after they hire a new director.
- Andrea Estelle has been named as the New Cooperative Director for Southwest Michigan Library Cooperative but will also stay on as Otsego District Public Library Director. John Mohney will be retiring as the SMLC director in December.
Collaborating Partners – CDA, LM, MiALA, MLA, and MCLS:
The Collaborating Partners are planning for workshop in March 2020, tentatively for Friday March 27 at Portage District Library. The workshops tentative title is ‘Addressing implicit bias’. The current idea is to have short presentations and then a panel discussion. More information to come.
Library of Michigan (LM): Randy Riley, State Librarian, made the report.
- New Director and Advance Directors workshop are schedule for September 17 (ND) and September 18 (AD) 2020.
- Loleta Fyan Small and Rural Libraries Conference: April 13 - April 15, 2020 will be held at the Grand Traverse Resort. Theme ‘Dream, Believe, Achieve Leadership’
- LM is working on standardize Penal fines in the state. Currently it is done different county by county goal is to have everyone receive them monthly instead of yearly. MLA will be working with LM on this.
Michigan Library Association (MLA): Debbie Mikula, Executive Director made the report
- MLA is planning a Legislation Day in Lansing on Wednesday, April 22, 2020. The plan is to have a morning session on how to talk with legislators and then in the afternoon meet different Legislators. They would like as many Librarians, staff, Trustees to be there to show their support. This will be a good practice for NLLD in May.
- MLA is in discussion to change the Awards at MLA to called Governor’s Library Award.
- Still trying to get the legislators to add the million dollars into the budget.
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS): Scott Garrison, Executive Director, made the report for MCLS:
- MCLS is ending their relationship with Bibliotheca as of December 31 and libraries are encouraged to purchase products before the end of the year. They will be working with Mintech in MN in the future.
Scott mentioned Simple E, which is a free e-reader app coming in the future.
- Tuesday, October 8, 2019 was Eric’s first Advisory Council meeting at McFarlen in Grand Blanc. The feedback has been very positive. Scott Garrison spoke about MCLS, Matt Pacer and Bernadette Bartlett from LM spoke on Special collections and Joe Hamlin and Kathy Kosinski from LM spoke on Discovering your community needs.
- MMLC introduced a new Grant for their public library of $500 programing during the Fall, Winter and Spring as long as they book it through MMLC. This grant is available per branch.
- Completed the state aid in the beginning of November.
- Eric received his level one certification and needs to complete the New Directors and Advance Directors workshops in September 2020.
- Eric has visited 11 members libraries in October and November. He has schedule most of the other libraries for December and January. Next month Eric will also start going to some Library Board meetings to introduce himself.
- Eric attended MLA 2019 in Novi in October as the MMLC director, also worked at the CDA table during MLA as well.
- Had several meetings with FOML mostly on the phone.
- Had training with all the new Cooperative Directors with the Library of Michigan.